Thursday, August 10, 2006

Annoying office visits(warning rant)

So my office is on the main hallway in my building. I like to keep my office door open so that people that I know can say hello. Unfortunately, this apparently means that I am here to answer any question that might possibly occur to anyone.

My office in Berkeley was also on the main floor and we would get questions like: where is the office for this grad student/professor, where is the elevator (right in front of you!), library, main office, or bathroom. Occasionally we would get someone looking to sharpen their pencil. Although these requests happened about once a week (or less) and were somewhat annoying, they were mostly understandable and reasonable questions.

Since I have come here, I get at least two questions a week. Many are where is the office-, some random professor-type questions. However, I now also get questions like "where are they holding the MCAT exam?, how do I fill out paperwork to do something for a student in some engineering department?, where do I get paperwork to become a student employee?" I can understand people being lost but seriously these questions are just plain lazy. Look it up! Or look up where you might go to ask the question! I don't understand why these people think that some random person in a random building would know the answer to their question. I have started getting pissed when anyone that I don't know knocks on my door and it makes me feel bad.

2 Comments:

At 7:39 AM, Blogger sarah said...

you could pretend you don't speak english...I find that random people are easily turned away from my door by "no speaken deutch"

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should put a sign on your door that says "go away". -L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home