An insane hike and long story

Pretty.
I continued on the next trail until I came to a junction where my trail was marked and the other trail did not have a number. In my book there was a numbered trail that would also take me back to the trailhead and was shorter than the book's suggested route. I wasn't sure that this was the right trail though and so continued on the longer route even though it was getting late. I kept walking and walking and walking along this trail/old abandoned road. I finally descended into a small valley where the road completely DISAPPEARED! I spent at least half an hour wandering this valley (no trees, just desert shrub so a trail would be easy to see) looking for this trail/road. Nothing. At this point the sun was beginning to go down behind a ridge and I started to freak out a little. I usually bring a headlamp and warm clothes with me when I go hiking just in case. This was one of the few times that I had forgotten both items and was only wearing shorts and a tee-shirt.
I knew the general direction of the trailhead and that it was maybe 2-3 miles away. I started bushwhacking cross-country so I could make it to the top of a ridge and figure out where to go. I got to the top and only saw another small valley, which I descended and then climbed the next ridge. I could see some buildings in the far distance and guessed that these were the ones near the trailhead. At this point the sun had set, the light was dimming and I was beginning to fall over rocks and get my legs torn up by all the nasty vegetation:
My legs when I got home.
I could see a trail in the fading light and figured it must be the one that I chose not to take earlier. It looked like it went in the direction of the buildings. I followed the trail forever in the dark. When I couldn't see anymore I used my camera screen to light the ground enough so that I wouldn't leave the trail. I finally met a trail junction that said I was going the right way! The book said this should be my original trail along Cave Creek but I couldn't see anything and it appeared to just disappear into the river. I could see a few houses and hear a generator (who ever thought that I would be happy to hear a generator?!) and decided to ask for directions (just in case and I was sick of wandering through veg. in the dark).

Part of the hill that I came down with the houses where I asked for directions (I took this picture in the beginning of the hike).
This very nice old couple came to the door and gave me a cloth to clean my legs and drove me the remaining (it only took 2 minutes) distance to the trailhead. I was very happy that I did not have to spend 13 hours in the dark in 40-50 degree weather. I felt very stupid for not bringing my headlamp and warm clothes, not taking the shorter trail and believing the directions in that book (not bringing a topo. map). I hope that I won't have to post any more horrible things that I do to my legs.


4 Comments:
Holy crap Elowyn! That sounds terrible! I'm glad it all turned out ok!!! Not to sound too motherly, but maybe you shouldn't go hiking on your own like that again!!! oh yeah, and you should eat more! :)
Gah!! you should never go hiking alone unless you are in switzerland!!!!! (land of the overly-marked trails...) -L
OMG! I concur with the other admonishments.....
Can't leave you alone for even a minute!
Post a Comment
<< Home