Monday, March 26, 2007

A lull

I went out dancing with some girl friends on Friday night. It was pretty fun. On Saturday a bunch of friends and I went to a Spring Training Oakland A's game. I think that was the closest that I have ever been to the players. I went on a hike by myself on Sunday. All of the desert flowers are starting to bloom and are pretty.

I'm reading Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murrakami) and can't put it down. He is becoming one of my favorite authors. Still listening to S. Stevens with some Andrew Bird mixed in.

A Bird sums up things pretty well for me right now:

being alone it can be quite romantic
like Jacques Cousteau underneath the Atlantic
a fantastic voyage to parts unknown
going to depths where the sun’s never shone
and i fascinate myself when i’m alone
so i go a little overboard but hang on to the hull
while i’m airbrushing fantasy art
on a life that’s really kind of dull

oh, i’m in a lull

i’m all for moderation
but sometimes it seems moderation itself can be a kind of extreme
so i joined the congregation
i joined the softball team
i went in for my confirmation
where incense looks like steam

i start conjugating proverbs where once there were nouns
this whole damn rhyme scheme’s starting to get me down
i’m rambling on rather self consciously
while i’m stirring these condiments into my tea
and i think i’m so lame
i bet i think this song’s about me
don’t i don’t i don’t i ?

4 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger rosebrier said...

ahh I like Andrew Bird a lot. Saw him in concert in Chicago when I was there working at the synchrotron.
Lull song is great.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger riverocker said...

I saw him open for Ani Difranco in SF and fell in love with him. Isn't he great live?

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think peter n. was at the baseball game, you didn't see him??!! -L

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger riverocker said...

haha. was he at the sat. game!!? that game really didn't have a ton of people so it is a bummer that I didn't see him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home